This project started with a really cute skirt, but I was so focused on changing it, I forgot to take a picture. It was a simple floral skirt with a lining and a slightly fishtailed bottom. Here’s an after shot:
First, I measured the width I wanted at the top of the skirt. After sewing the sides of the lining and outer layer separately, I wasn’t happy with how it was looking. So, after a night’s sleep, I cut off the elastic band and separated the two layers. I measured and trimmed arm holes, which didn’t need to be hemmed as the fabric is a no-fray type. Then, I folded over and stitched two tubes for the ribbon strap. Next, I wanted to add back the pretty outer fabric. I sewed it on a few inches below the neckline for a contrasting look. Then, I hemmed up the bottom above the ruffle to create a better line-up at the bottom of the dress. Last, I made a tube with some of the extra fabric and reinforced it with some coordinating ribbon. All-in-all, I am really happy with the results.
I sold this dress to a family friend for her granddaughter. I got to see her in it, and she looked really cute!